Re: RARA-AVIS: le samourai and John Woo

Mark Sullivan (
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 22:41:42 -0500 (EST)

>From what I understand, Bullet in the Head is what Woo would have done
in the prequel, A Better Tomorrow III, with which it does have some overlapping plot points, making it kind of a cross between III and Deerhunter. However, Woo had a falling out with producer Tsui Hark during the making of II, so Tsui Hark directed III himself.

My favorite Woo is probably still the first one I saw, The Killer, but I have a soft spot for his lighter Once a Thief, which takes inspiration from Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief. It's Hudson Hawk done right.