Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy's characters

Ned Fleming (
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:17:44 -0600

Juri Nummelin wrote:

> And what about Ellroy's recurring characters? Is Dick Contino real? And
> what about Spade Cooley? And Johnny Stompanato?

Contino's real. Stompanato's real. I've got a double-CD of Spade Cooley (Texas Swing, a la Bob Wills) music. It's monophonic but good. Cooley, suffering a series of well-deserved heart attacks, and a troubled soul to boot, strangled and kicked his wife to death, the creature. He was gracious enough to let his children watch.