Re: RARA-AVIS: The Dain Curse

Mario Taboada (matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 06:28:20 -0700 (PDT)

Eddie Duggan:

<<I would suggest that The Dain Curse has more gothic elements than Hammett's other novels, and there is an air of ludicrousness about it, with more twists than a plate of spaghetti, and it is probably the least readable of the novels; however, the whacky cult-stuff was something of an issue in the period in which the book was written. Just my two penn'orth ;->>>

I have a confession to make: I like _The Dain Curse_ precisely because of its raw pulp feel. I am a sucker for the old stuff, unsophisticated and incoherent as it may be. In this novel, Hammett reads like Donald Wandrei, or like Erle Stanley Gardner at his most bizarre. No-one could confuse this stuff with realistic fiction, but it's good stuff nevertheless.

Regards,

mt