Re: RARA-AVIS: Willis in _Last Man Standing_

Bob Toomey (
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 03:41:49 -0400

> I just happened to see Bruce Willis in _Last Man Standing_ and found it
> very hard-boiled, very Hammett-esque.
> Do any list members know whether it is based on a novel?

Like Sergio Leone's _A Fistful of Dollars_, it's based on Akira Kurasawa's brilliant samarai film, _Yojimbo_, which also gave birth to John Belushi's scroungy samarai character on Saturday Night Live. Many have noticed the resemblance of the plot of _Yojimbo_ and Hammett's _Red Harvest_, but as far as I know, Kurasawa has never acknowledged the influence. In any case,
_Yojimbo_ is a work of art in its own right, tough and funny, with a killer performance by Toshiro Mifune in the lead, and well worth renting if you haven't seen it. It blows the Willis movie away like the dandelion fluff that it is. _Sanjuro_, the sequal to _Yojimbo_, is also worth seeing, being even tougher and funnier.