Re: RARA-AVIS: favor & Motherless Brooklyn

A.N.Smith (ansmith@netdoor.com)
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 07:56:12 -0500

Sorry it was off topic. Won't mention again. But you've all been a great help and now I think I'll be able to fix it.

To pick up an earlier thread that was dropped (because I don't think many have read the book yet, it being so new), Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn looks like book of the year material. Worthy of literary prizes while still fitting snuggly into the Hardboiled category. Interesting, because you can tell Lethem has a love for genre, and in all his books, he works inside the genre to tear it apart and remodel. The narrator with Tourette's forces the reader to re-think how language will be approached in this, keeps us on our toes because we can't finish the sentences in our heads ahead of time. My vote--add it to the reading list next year.

Neil Smith