RARA-AVIS: Re: New Authors and Night Dogs

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Sat, 02 Oct 1999 14:27:11 -0700

I'll add my praise for Kent Anderson, but with some reservations. While Night Dogs was generally excellent, it was also in serious need of a better editor. The force of the story was diminished by an overabundance of pages. Anderson needs to tighten up a bit.

As far as I can tell, he's not yet become a star because 1)his commitment to the genre is not yet proven (two other books are direct Vietnam experiences), and 2)while Night Dogs did receive good paperback distribution, the hardcover was done by McMillan and thus limited his exposure.

Had an opportunity to pick up both Kent Harrington's THE DARK RIDE and DIOS DE LA MUERTA today. Didn't do it, but the decision is attacking me while I settle down in front of football. Maybe I'll go back and rectify the situation tomorrow.

Best regards,

... Reed