Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled SF

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:41:20 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Etienne Borgers wrote:

> On the contrary, 'Kiss Me Deadly' is a Noir film. A
> crime film by Robert Aldrich, with Spillane's PI. It
> is not a SF film, even if it carries some surreal
> settings.

Aurum Film Encyclopedia lists it as science fiction film. I don't know why
- all the events in the film seem to have a rational explanation. But then again, who carries an atomic bomb in a bag?

> FORBIDDEN PLANET (1956) is an excellent SF film, one
> of the bests of this period, but definitely not
> Noir... even if it carries some pessimistic traits.
> It was said at the time that the storyline was taken
> from Shakespeare's "Tempest".

Shakespeare is right, but the film is deeply influenced by Freudian psychoanalysis (well, not very deeply..) and so was film noir. "Forbidden Planet" was made under the same influences as most of film noir.

> Other genres influenced by Noir: war films

At least Stanley Kubrick's "Fear and Desire" comes to mind and some Samuel Fuller's films.

> I listed films for each category "under influence" on
> my web pages.

I'll have to look that up.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi