Re: RARA-AVIS: Angry Moon vs Max and Jeremy

Etienne Borgers (freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 03:16:14 -0700 (PDT)

I do not know the writer nor his novel Angry Moon- so this is not a statement about the quality of this book- but something is troubling in its plot.

Of course, in crime lit and movies, the hit-man on last assignment(for retirement or change of carreer) is something rather common. What strikes me here is the hit man trying to get his mentor. This resembles very closely to part of the basic plot of a French film with Philippe Noiret and Christopher Lambert, I occasionally saw last year. I think the title is Max et Jeremie (Max and Jeremy)-1992 but I could not find any relevant details in my documents about it. The French film is only half-satisfactory, but the plot is very tricky as well.

On Internet Movie Data Base, one of the script writers is Teri White, based on his novel 'Max Trueblood and the Jersey Desperado'.
(I did not read White's novel- published in 1987- neither, but I found a summary of its plot and it is really the base for the French film).

Is all of this only coincidental or are there some links with Lankill's 'Angry Moon'? Any suggestion?

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

---Mark Sullivan <AnonymeInc@webtv.net> wrote:

> Some time ago, I wrote in praise of Terrill
Lankford's Shooters.

> Angry Moon starts off as a very satisfying
"assassin thinking better of
> his career choice" story. Needless to say, he has
to make one last hit.
> Like Grosse Pointe Blank, it starts with the iffy
premise that someone
> sociopathic enough to become a highly successful
hit man would have
> enough of a conscience to have this kind of crisis
of faith, but that's
> one of those disbeliefs fans willingly suspend when
reading this genre.
> Like John Woo/Chow Yun Fat's The Killer the hit
man's employers do not
> intend to let their contractor quit the business.
And, of course, the
> last hit is on the man who taught our anti-hero
everything he knows. So
> far, we have the making's of a very good hit man
thriller.

> As in Shooters, Terrill focuses on a suspect hero,
but makes him
> sympathetic by pitting him against worse creatures,
without his code of
> honor. And the first half is a very good thriller,
full of very
> specific detail to led verisimilitude, kind of like
Stark's Parker
> novels. That believability built on concrete
detail becomes crucial
> when things begin to get a bit surreal. Our
anti-hero begins to suspect
> his own sanity when he finds it very hard to kill
his mentor, who is
> turning the whole thing into a game of cat and
mouse. I don't want to
> give any more away, but suffice it to say Terrill
has constructed the
> book beautifully to get readers to stretch the
bounds of their