RARA-AVIS: My late introduction

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:17:51 +0300 (EET DST)

I've been bad.

I must've read the welcome letter poorly, since I didn't introduce myself
(I read it again just now due to the new persons on the list). I've been opening my mouth here where ever possible and nobody knew who or what this guy was. Sorry.

So: I'm Juri Nummelin, 27 years old Finnish Master of Arts (I guess that is the equivalent for my title in the GB and the US), a father of a four month girl, and a long time devotee of hardboiled literature. My love began with Chandler and Macdonald (I read a youngster novel in which the protagonist tried to identify with Marlowe and Archer - a Finnish novel! - and then I started to read Chandler and stuff). I love crime movies as well, especially some tough and mean films from the fifties, like 'The Big Combo' or 'Kiss Me Deadly'.

My hobby with these writers has gone so far that I've began to write a critical bibliography about the American hardboiled and pulp writers that have been translated into Finnish as paperbacks or in pulp magazines (they appeared here as well as in the US). I'm making it a book, but haven't yet found a publisher. The Finnish Detective Book Club has published articles from the bibliography in its magazine, Body Culture. I've written about W.T. Ballard, Bill Ballinger, Gil Brewer, Carroll John Daly, Norman A. Daniels and Frederick C. Davis. The articles about Richard Deming, Frank Gruber and David Goodis haven't yet appeared.

What else is there? In Finland we don't get much of the new writers of the genre, but I've found James Ellroy and Joe R. Lansdale very refreshing authors.

Thanks for bearing with me - I apologize once more for my bad behaviour! I'm kind of new with this kind of lists.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi