Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: E R JOHNSON is free

M-T (matrxtech@sprintmail.com)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:13:27 -0400

Mark:

<<Mario, since you seem to be a huge fan, does the order in which you read Johnson's books matter or are they all self-contained?>>

As far as I can recall, they are independent. But I haven't read (nor have I found yet) the last two, which Fr. Woolley kindly made me aware of the other day.

and Mari:

<<Mario, what was he in jail for???>>

I have no idea, but 28 years in jail suggests a very serious crime, most likely murder.

I should say that I am indeed a fan, but never did the legwork to try to find out more about Johnson (or to find the man himself). As I said before, someone should write up an informed article about this extraordinary hardboiled writer. I can write critically about his work, but I lack biographical information. Etienne, are you up for a collaborative effort?

Regards,

mt