Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: RARA-AVIS "Stacked Deck"

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:46:53 -0400 (EDT)

Mario wrote:

<<It's short for "celluloid" - a trick for sliding a piece of said material in order to unlock a door or window. Bernie Rhodenbarr uses it frequently, and Block calls it "to loid" too. I don't know how realistic the trick is. >>

It used to work pretty well on old sliding glass doors and windows. When I occasionally forgot my key, I could still get into my house if no on was home. It also works on non-deadbolt locks, sliding the plastic against the curve of the bolt, forcing it back into the door; I used it in an office once after someone locked their keys inside. Of course, both of those "capers" were a long time ago and everything is deadbolted or double glazed now and my rudimentary break-in skills are totally obsolete.

Mark