Re: RARA-AVIS: Hannibal/Bill Denton

M-T (matrxtech@sprintmail.com)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:44:06 -0500

I don't think Harris is a hardboiled author, thematically or stylistically, and I doubt that Hannibal will make me change my mind. His flamboyant thrillers owe more to a tradition of journalistic voyeurism and to the horror novel than to the hardboiled crime novel. Since somebody mentioned Fredric Brown's _The Lenient Beast_, I think it would be instructive to draw a comparison of styles and content. I'll try to get to that if this infernally busy work day ever ends. By the way, we've never included Brown in our reading list. Tennis, anyone?

Regards,

mt