Re: RARA-AVIS: Daniel Pennac

cooper (jane@almaludo.freeserve.co.uk)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:28:27 +0100

-----Original Message----- From: George Rishel <grishel@hotbot.com> To: rara-avis@icomm.ca <rara-avis@icomm.ca> Date: 18 June 1999 14:38 Subject: RARA-AVIS: Daniel Pennac

>First, Sebastien Japrisot, now Daniel Pennac, pulls me out of the woodwork.
I know of at least two of Pennac's books that have English translation because I have both of them in my store. Both are UK publications. One is The Fairy Gunmother (could that be La Fee Carabine?), available in paperback, and the other is The Scapegoat, available in hardback. I haven't had a chance to read either one, but one customer liked The Fairy Gunmother so much, he wanted me to find anything else I could by Pennac--ABE didn't have much then. By the way, I ordered my first copies of Gunmother from Gardners in England, but this spring I happened to discover that the UK editions of both books could be bought from Baker & Taylor, so I suspect Pennac books are starting to creep into the USA, but it may take a good detective to track them down.

>Both books are set in Paris. Gunmother, as I recall, deals with how one or
more vigilantes start taking revenge on the muggers who've been hitting on grandmothers. The Scapegoat takes place in the Arab quarter of Paris.

>Sorry, but Pennac and Japrisot exhaust my current supply of English
translations of French books. But I'll keep looking.

>George Rishel
>The Sly Fox
>grishel@hotbot.com
>slyfox@ctllc.com
>

>HotBot - Search smarter.
>http://www.hotbot.com
>--
>Ahh, Daniel Pennac, I'd hesitated to suggest him as I didn't know whether
he would be included as HB enough, but I'm so glad to see someone has thrown him into the mix. I've only read Fairy Gunmother so far, really liked it, witty, dark and rather bizarre. Both books were reviewed in Crime Time 2.2, apparently they are the first two of the Belleville Quartet, which is now about running at about 5 or 6 books, only two in English, but CT speculated that this was the result of lazy translation as they are about the Belleville Quarter of Paris.Anyway on my next foray into the civilized world where there are real bookshops thats one I'll be looking for. Bonsoir all JKC