Re: RARA-AVIS: Early Westlake

blumenidiot (blumenidiot@email.msn.com)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:13:20 -0600 :Fred Willard wrote:

I'm not sure that the hardboiled
>novel has much of a place in the mystery genre anymore. I think this
>explains why people are trying to write books that can cross over.

Not to be a mysogynist, I think the reason for this may be that the majority
of "mystery" writers are women as, I assume, are readers. I know this has
happened to science fiction also. Of the genres I think there are more
romance novels being published than mysteries, espionage, science
fiction/fantasy, or westerns combined. Maybe hardboiled novels are fated to
be like jazz, relegated to its own little ghetto only occasionally breaking
out briefly, but having a great influence on the mainstream.
Mark Blumenthal

#