Re: RARA-AVIS: Paul Cain

Etienne Borgers (freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 14:39:08 -0800 (PST) published only one novel : Fast One.
Was adapted by himself for screen, under the title:
Gambling Ship (1933) with Cary Grant.

The rest of his writings are all short stories
published in Black Mask originally. It seems that
even Fast One is a derivate from 5 previous short
fictions.

Peter Ruric was apparently his pen name as
screenwriter. From what I understand his career was
more for Hollywood than for book publishing.
He collaborated to the scripts of:
Black Cat (1934)
Twelve crowded Hours(1939)
Grand Central Murders(1942)
Mademoiselle Fifi (film by R.Wise)

But this list is not complete, I think.

In Marcel Duhamel's (French editor)memoirs, there is
a stunning description of the "refuge" seeking of
Cain in France (1948?), asking for Marcel Duhamel's
help.
(Fast One was published by Duhamel in France in 1949)
Cain's life at the time seemed to be a mess and he
was highly depressed. He was trying to get rid of a
drinking problem and was pointing at Hollywood for
the responsibility of all his problems, even
despising the type of work he was requested to
deliver for the film industry. Duhamel relocated him
in Spain after he helped him a while in France.
A little bit more than one year later, Cain had
totally recovered and even started a new family life!
Cain died in 1966.

E.Borgers
HBM
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

---MT <matrxtech@sprintmail.com> wrote:

> "A friend of mine has suggested "Fast One" to me
and i'm in
> the process of getting a copy, but if Cain only
wrote one
> novel, SNIPPED...
> "Death Song" I have no idea about since it is
supposed to
> be published in 1999 (co-written with William F.
Nolan and
> Joseph Hansen). Does anyone have any bio
information on
> Cain other than his real name was Peter Ruric?"
>
> Apparently his real-real name was George Sims, then
Peter Ruric and --
> as a pen-name -- Paul Cain. He worked as a
screenwriter for many years. SNIPPED...
> Could this "Death Song" be the completion of
> some Cain manuscript, or perhaps the filling out of
a screenplay? Please