Re: RARA-AVIS: Paul Cain

Phil Beesley (PB14@leicester.ac.uk)
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:44:03 +0100 (BST) On 21 Nov 98 at 14:39, MT wrote:

> As to _Fast
> One_, my recent attempt at re-reading it failed miserably: the book
> seemed indigestible and, in parts, incomprehensible. I didn't make it
> beyond the first 20 pages. It reminded me of some books by George V.
> Higgins in which the brutal crisscross style doesn't mix well with an
> extremely complicated plot (like _The Judgment of Deke Hunter_).

The first time I read _Fast One_ I found it a difficult rad. The
sheer number of characters was particularly confusing.

The short story collection, _Seven Slayers_ was a total contrast and
I galloped through it. So I thought I'd have a second go at _Fast
One_ -- which I again found to be confusing.

I'm glad that it isn't just me...

Phil