Re: RARA-AVIS: Big Book of Noir

Etienne Borgers (freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:31:42 -0800 (PST) I will repeat here a message I posted to a Newsgroup
recently giving some details of the contents of BIG
BOOK OF NOIR. I already gave these details early
September to this list, before the book was actually
distributed.
I think it is of interest for most of the Rara-Avis
followers, justifying the repetition.

QUOTE:
There is a new anthology of interviews, articles and
short essays, all
linked to Noir and Hard-Boiled genres, recently
published by Carroll & Graf-
THE BIG BOOK OF NOIR

Editors: Ed Gorman, Lee Seerver, Martin H. Greenberg

All types of media are evoked, from literature to
cinema and comics.
Some articles in The Big Book of Noir give a panorama
of the history
of paperback collections that were major vehicles for
this literature
in the USA and France. But many other subjects will
appeal to the
aficionados of the Noir genre.

Fritz Lang's final interview
The Making of The Naked City
Leigh Brackett on writing Big Sleep and Long Goodbye
Charlton Heston on Orson Welles and Touch of Evil
Interview with A.I. Bezzerides (Kiss Me Deadly)
Interview with Daniel Mainwaring (aka Geoffrey Homes)
[Out of the
Past]
Stephen Hunter on Neo-Noir
William F. Nolan on Chandler in Hollywood
Bill Pronzini on Gil Brewer
Stephen King on Jim Thompson
Walt Sheldon on his friend Fredric Brown
Interview with Charles Willeford
Interview with J. D. MacDonald
Chester Himes, Highsmith's Ripley, British Noir
Histories of Gold Medal Books, Lion Books, and Serie
Noire [France]
Comic Book Noir by Ron Goulart
Radio Noir
The Last Days of Cornell Woolrich

UNQUOTE

This list does not give the complete contents of the
anthology.
One of my articles on "Serie Noire" history was
selected for this book.

E.Borgers
Hard-Boiled Mysteries
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

---Ron Clinton <r-and-jclinton@email.msn.com> wrote:

> I'm glad someone brought this up - I was going to
throw out a question on it
> in the next night or two. I've heard several
comments about THE BIG BOOK OF
> NOIR but little about its content. I take it then
from Bill's comment, that
> it is a non-fiction retrospective and not a fiction
anthology? Any other
> outstanding articles other than the ones Bill
mentioned? Worth the money?

<ACCDOMAIN.STAFF.BCrider@alvin.cc.tx.us>
> To: rara-avis@icomm.ca <rara-avis@icomm.ca>
> Date: Thursday, November 05, 1998 6:15 AM
> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Big Book of Noir
>

> >I just got my copy of THE BIG BOOK OF NOIR, and
it's terrific. (I'm not
> saying that just because I have a few articles in
it.) There's that Ed
> Gorman article on Gold Medal books, but there's a
whole lot more, including
> Ed's meditation on Charles Williams. And Bob
Skinner has a really good
> article on Donald Hamilton. A lot of the articles
are reprints, but having

majordomo@icomm.ca.
http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/.