Re: RARA-AVIS: The Trouble with Libraries

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 12:11:10 -0400 At 11:30 AM 9/13/98 -0400, Mark Sullivan wrote:

>I've always thought that the trouble with libraries is that you have to
>give the book back, which is the last thing I want to do when I like a
>book.

This reminded me of a fairly interesting article in Harper's at the
beginning of the decade about a bibliophile from the midwest ... I think
with the exception of one book through purchase and theft he had amassed a
collection of books relating to America ... from the original texts from
the 1500s on. He came up with some rather ingenious ways to circumvent the
security systems which held some of the more rare tomes that made up his
collection. He used to pay kids to get books for him to after the local
libraries refused him entrance.

>I will only go to a library as a last resort, when I can't find
>the book anywhere else or it's too expensive to consider buying.
>Luckily, George Pelecanos is relatively well-read in his home town so I
>found his books in the Silver Spring library. Put then I had to give
>them back, damn it!

I can't do it ... even when I go to the Library of Congress to check the
data base I have to print out my research and have a copy of my own.

----
volente Deo,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

"And then there she was / Like double cherry pie
Yeah there she was / Like disco superfly
I smell sex and / candy here"

-- J. Woznaik, Sex and Candy, marcy playground
#