Re: RARA-AVIS: Why books are over 200 pages

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 17:49:14 -0400 At 05:38 PM 9/7/98 -0500, MT wrote:

>I would never criticize someone for making a lot of money (unless they
>break the law). Every author, good or bad, wants to sell as much as
>possible. My problem is that I find Clancy simplistic in the extreme.
>The intellectual level of his fiction is pathetically low (similar to
>"the news", enough said). These days, the technical stuff can always be
>vetted by an expert or simply farmed out (I don't know how Clancy
>works). Those bloated books may as well be churned out by a robot.
>Appropriately, they sell like hot cakes at supermarkets.

Considering that Clancy was debriefed by the CIA for his knowledge ... and
his non-fictional works ... he ain't farming nothing out. Actually, they
sell like hot cakes everywhere ... big book stores, independents,
warehouses, mail order, etc. As far as being simplistic ... I'd hate to
have to read anything you found complex and I'm in the biz which Clancy
writes about.

----
volente Deo,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

"I am an innocent man / Oh yes I am / An innocent man"

- Billy Joel
#