RARA-AVIS: Top Two for Tigger

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 21:58:39 -0500 (CDT) At 07:42 PM 9/3/98 -0800, Tigger wrote:

>Being new to the list, I must say that I feel quite inferior in the
>literate sense, especially in the hard-boiled arena. I've gotten
>such a list of must-reads just from reading these posts, that I'm not
>sure how I'll decide to approach them. Speaking of which, I've got
>to get a copy of TPART this weekend and catch up. I assume that
>common decency prevents anyone on this list from actually identifying
>plot points such as, um, er, I don't know, say, the KILLER??
>
>For fun and just for me to see the wide variety of opinions (and help
>with prioritization), I'd like to pose a survey to the list: Name
>your TOP 2 (and only 2) hard-boiled books, no top 2 institutional or
>other sub categories, your Top 2 favorites, period. bill if this is
>too much of a traffic hog for the list, I'd be happy to take them on
>private e-mail.

Well, I've been addicted to this stuff since I was about 10
years old and there are folks on this list who still dump stuff on me that I
am unaware of. Not to metion that occassionally on or two of the actual
authors post. But it seems to me that you have read the basic stuff in the
canon.
My actual list of favorites would be all Hammett. But in the
interest of fairness, I'll say that the best are Hammett's _The Glass Key_
and Chandler's _Farewell, My Lovely_.
Hope I didn't spoil nything for you in discussing TPART. But it
isn't a mystery, so it is part of the horror that you know the killer even
before the killer does.
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net
Mundus Vult Decipi