Re: RARA-AVIS: definitions

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 19:57:00 -0500 (CDT) At 08:37 PM 9/2/98 -0500, Mario Taboada wrote:

>I was on the phone with one of my most trusted walking encyclopedias on
>both film and the hardboiled, who unfortunately could not pinpoint the
>reference off the top of his head, but did mention that Tracy first
>gained public recognition as an actor by *playing a murderer* in a very
>successful Broadway play around 1930. It's not unlikely that Whitfield
>knew about this play and Tracy's role in it. If I receive more
>information, I'll post it here so that we can all sleep...I am not ready
>to accept this coincidence yet.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mario Taboada

Found this at www.autographics.com Sounds like the play you
are lloking for.

"The 1920s were a decade of struggle, as he fended off poverty by taking
any acting job that came
along, from traveling road companies and one-nighters to repertory work in
towns as far-flung as
White Plains and Grand Rapids. He first achieved Broadway notice in Yellow
(1926) and critical and
audience praise in Baby Cyclone (1927). But three flops in a row in 1929
(Conflict, Nigger Rich and
Veneer) saw his career come to a standstill. In 1930, Tracy appeared in two
low-budget short films:
TAXI TALKS, as a gangster, and HARD GUY, as a World War I veteran. But the
films were
unimpressive and Tracy still struggled until The Last Mile. Playing killer
John Mears in this
Broadway crime drama, Tracy had his first major success. One audience member
impressed by
Tracy's performance was director John Ford, who persuaded Fox to sign him
for Ford's upcoming
film UP THE RIVER (1930)."

James
James Michael Rogers