Comics (Was: RARA-AVIS: Re:Jonny Double)

ejm duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 23:19:25 -0700 On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Kevin Smith <kvnsmith@colba.net> wrote:

[SNIP]

> And I hate to poop on anyone's parade, Mark, but am I the only one who
> thinks Miller's Sin City is over-rated?

Nope. I do too ;->

> Overdrawn, over-worked images
> interrupted occasionally by a double page spread of black ink is not art,
> or even particularly good story-telling; it's overkill, bordering on
> pretension.

Yup.

> And I guess I resent the fact they're marketed as something
> more important than they are, and priced as such. I far prefer the clean,
> direct story-telling of something like Stray Bullets.

Me too.

Miller's _Sin City_ is ok -ish. But overblown, overrated and
over-priced.
I prefer artwork with, uh, _more lines in_ than the Sin City stuff.

If anyone here has not read the Paradox Graphic Mystery titles, they
should.
If you 'don't like comics' these titles may well change your mind.

AFAIK, there are four currently in print:

Road to Perdition by Max Allan Collins and Richard Piers Rayner

The Bogie Man by John Wagner & Alan Grant and Robin Smith

Green Candles by Tom de Haven and Robin Smith

A History of Violence by John Wagner and Vince Locke

Originally, they were issued as three-parters, but are now available as
single volumes. Amazon.com has 'em (I got a couple from them recently
at a quite reasonable price, even with postage it was cheaper than
getting them from a UK bookshop--btw a propos an earlier post, VAT is
not charged on books in the UK, nor on childrens' clothes: bibliophilic
persons of restricted growth have a great time here).

The story-telling is tight, and the art-work is great. These are great
crime comics.

ED