RE: RARA-AVIS: Chemical Dependence and Hard-Boiledness

David A. Harvey (david@reportersink.com)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 00:59:59 -0400 Yes. I like that thought. Plus, the Nordic heroes were also often painted as
solitary warriors. The quest of the individual against the darkness.

How much, too, does the drinking give stylistic license to run wild and
generate the descriptive imagery of the genre: lots of rain slicked
everything with blurry neon, hyperreal descriptions--almost caricatures--of
faces and features....

I'm not saying that the writer was drunk, or as Papa said of alcohol, "the
only time it's not good for you is when your write or when you fight."
Rather, that it serves as a literary deus ex machina

______________________________

David A. Harvey

Freelance Columnist, Reviewer, Journalist&Editor
Exploring the meeting points of humanity&technology

1 Druim Moir Court 215/248-7469
Philadelphia, PA 917/767-6567 (cell/page)
19118

"Most people are awaiting Virtual Reality; I'm awaiting virtuous
reality."
--Eli Khamarov , Lives of the Cognoscenti

#