RE: RARA-AVIS: Chemical Dependence and Hard-Boiledness

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 07:04:57 -0400 At 12:59 AM 8/16/98 , David A. Harvey wrote:

>How much, too, does the drinking give stylistic license to run wild and
>generate the descriptive imagery of the genre: lots of rain slicked
>everything with blurry neon, hyperreal descriptions--almost caricatures--of
>faces and features....

I've always seen this more as an American Gothic (as in the painting of the
Diner ... American artist's name on the tip of my tongue and staying there)
than a chemical induced vision ... the movie "Batman" being the extreme
expression of this ... I don't recall which one it is, but good ole Batman
has gotten to rather "hard-boiled" in the chemical sense during one series
... there's a bottle of hooch in the glove department of the Bat mobile
which he warms himself from time to time ... the critique on CBS Sunday
Morning mentioned it in his critique of Batman Forever (I believe) and that
there were far better stories lying around for a Batman movie than for them
to make one up from scratch.

----
volente Deo,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
<http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640>http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

"His girlfriend Jenny was kind of a slut
He went to the White House, showed LBJ his butt

He's Gump ..."

- "Wierd Al" Yankovic
#