Re: RARA-AVIS: dickless realities?

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:57:11 -0400 At 09:29 PM 6/11/98 +0000, somebody wrote:

><<Hardboiled was conceived as a class critique,
>asserting the value of the everyday man as he exposes the corruption of
>the more moneyed class (criminal and allegedly legit); Hammett went to
>jail for his politics. Spillane's politics on the other side of the
>spectrum are even more unavoidable.>>
>
>The beginnings (and the golden era) of the hardboiled genre do not
>support such a thesis. Let's look at the Black Mask boys:

While it would be a mistake to read too much into it, I think
that it *does* hold true across the genre. The wealthy have privilege to
which others cannot lay claim. The police are corrupt or, at best,
ineffectual. Religon tends to be portrayed as a con, politics as a cruel
joke on the public. These elements are as true of Spillane, Daly , Nebel,
etc., as they are of more explicitly leftist writers like Chandler, Hammett,
and MacDonald. I doubt that the question would even arise except that the
term "class critique" has a communist connotation. If one was to describe
the politics of hardboiled as "anti-status quo", I think that there would be
widespread agreement.

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net