Re: RARA-AVIS: Cynical Hammett (Was: Ned Beaumont)

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:44:40 -0500 (CDT) At 12:46 PM 4/17/98 -0700, Mr. Duggan wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, "DOUGLAS GREENE" <dgreene@odu.edu> wrote to
>rara-avis:
>
>> Keep in mind that Hammett was paid by the word, and some of the
>> oddties in his stories can be explained by his need for lucre, filthy
>> or otherwise. If you read his novella "$106,000 Blood Money," you
>> can see how he cleverly pads by giving exotic names to the gangsters.
>
>Hammett, I think, got this down to a fine art by including rather
>lengthy digressionary episodes in his novels. Besides the
>much-discussed Flitcraft episode in _The Maltese Falcon_ there's a
>direct lift of a story from Duke's _Celebrated Criminal Cases of
>America_ (precise details elude recollection at the moment) in _The Thin
>Man_.

Well, I agree with those who thought that the Flitcraft but was
the central portion of TMF. There is definitely padding in some of the OP
stories, but when _Glass Key_ came out Hammett is pretty well at the top of
his earning power, with guaranteed hardcover sale and major reviewer
attention. The days of hanging out on the cheap at Nathanial West's hotel
were history, so I doubt that he still was thinking in terms of 55 extra
words paying for a couple more drinks. I think that the use of the full name
of Beaumont is really just another device to convey the icy remoteness of
the guy, who is so tough that he makes Sam Spade sound like Leo Buscaglia. I
guess one man's padding is another's belles lettres, as in the celebrated
passage in _Dain Curse_ where the character adds couple of hundred words by
counting out the contents of his wallet.....it may have been padding in
order to up the word count, but I think that Shaw got his money's worth.

James

James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net

#