Re: RARA-AVIS: Humour and Guess What? It's Hammer Time!

James & Livia Reasoner (
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 19:43:57 -0600 Kevin Smith wrote:

> Which makes me wonder: how do you guys feel about Spillane and Mike
> Except for a few mentions of the TV show (which I always found rather
> despite some decent scripts), I don't remember any discussion of the big
> palooka. As someone who probably ranks as one of the major forces in the
> hardboiled genre, Spillane's absence on this list is sort of glaring. I
> wouldn't rank him as high as Hammett and Chandler, but as an influence
> got to be right up there with Macdonald.
> What say youse?

Hi, Kevin. I don't know where everybody is, either. But I'm sure El Nino
is to blame.

I've read all the Mike Hammer novels (and just about everything else
Spillane has written), and I like all of them. The plots don't always make
too much sense, but there are some great individual scenes in them, like
the opening on the snowy bridge in _One Lonely Night_ (my favorite Hammer

James Reasoner
# To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to
# The web pages for the list are at