Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Highsmith

Greg Swan (swan@mcmuse.mc.maricopa.edu)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:05:18 -0700 (MST) Hope it's not too shocking to find I agree with you. The Highsmith Ripley
books have been quite a phenomenon around here. I was engrossed by the
Talented Mr. Ripley and great self-discipline was necessary to read it in
two sittings instead of one very long one. My wife, who has sworn never
to read another Jim Thompson book because they're too creepy (After Dark
My Sweet and Pop. 1280 did her in), devoured all the Ripley books in less
than two weeks and is currently making her way through the rest of the
Highsmith back catalog. As she finishes the books, they go out to
relatives -- with similar results. Until I read my RARA-AVIS mail this
weekend, I just sort of assumed everyone loved Highsmith. ;)

I think Highsmith (and noir-ish fiction in general) tells more of an
internal than an external story. As an example of relying on an external
story, I plowed through John Lutz' Buyer Beware this afternoon. The book
moved fast, the plot was interesting, but the only thing that really
seemed to take place in the P.I.'s head was that he'd tell us every couple
pages that he was a Very Nervous Sort who had to take antacid. The
external story contradicted even this small element of an internal story,
though. The P.I. never seemed to DO anything that an abnormally anxious
person would do. For me, at least, Ripley's story is largely internal and
the genuine charm of Highsmith's work is in getting inside Ripley's head
and being Ripley. It's particularly amusing that the person I (and maybe
a few others) become while reading Ripley is a homosexual(?) murderer.
Occasionally (and it's kind of like fingernails on the chalk board when it
happens), Highsmith threatens the suspension of disbelief to advance the
plot. I recall Tom's realization that he was "good" at pretending to be
other people was particularly jarring. I also recall a few of his narrow
escapes from his pursuers as being a bit far-fetched.

I'd guess that, if you can't identify with and root for Ripley and forgive
Highsmith her occasional outlandish manipulations, this book might be an
excrutiating read. I had something of that feeling when I read Vin
Packer's noir novel Something in the Shadows. In this book, a morose
Ph.D. starts murdering people he believes may have harmed his cat.
Identifying with this fellow was a bit of a stretch even for me.

Being an avid noir reader, I particularly enjoyed Talented Mr. Ripley's
ending. In all the noir novels I had read prior to Ripley, the lead
character finally succeeds in effecting his or her own self destruction.
In that light, the ending of Talented Mr. Ripley had me chuckling for
days.

Greg
swan@poboxes.com

michael david sharp