Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Highsmith

michael david sharp (msharp@umich.edu)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:00:22 -0500 (EST) OK, this underestimation of Highmith is getting on my nerves somehow,
though you all are of course absolutely entitled to your opinions and I am
only, after all, one man. I teach Ripley next week. I am rereading it
right now and find the writing stunning on just about every page. I will
step back, reflect, and try to mount a brief but spirited defense of
Highsmith sometime next week. Right now what I will say is that I find
Ripley, at least initially, utterly sympathetic, esp. for a compulsive
liar and unrepentent misanthrope. What is it about the 1950s and
sympathetic psychos: Ripley, Lou Ford, Humbert Humbert . . . more later.

Michael D. Sharp Email: msharp@umich.edu
Department of English Lang. and Lit. Phone: (313) 761-8776
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Fax: (313) 763-3128

#