Re: RARA-AVIS: John O'Hara

Joseph M. Johnston (johnston@netreach.net)
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 12:45:44 +0000 It has been very interesting to see John O'Hara come up on this list.
A number of years ago, I found myself with a book club edition of a
number of his novels which I read in order.

While I never considered it either mystery or hardboiled, I can
certainly see the connections. I clearly remember how the setting
was vivd and full. I remember the quick slipping of the main
character in Sumatra. These novels also contain the tapistry of how
the seedier underbelly is inextricably connected with the uppercrust.

Often, over the years since I read these books, I have recalled the
short paragraph at the beginning of Sumatra when it described the man
trying to flee his own destruction. I have certainly seen it played
out.

Not only all this, but I got a new appreciation for the role of
dancing.