RARA-AVIS: Re: polar posts

E J M Duggan (eddie.duggan@suffolk.ac.uk)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 21:13:26 -0800 On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 judith feaster <jfeaster@email.gc.cuny.edu> wrote:

[SNIP]
>Did you all read the article Terence Rafferty
>wrote in GQ criticizing the Library of America's publication of the
>AMERICAN NOIR classics? I sort of hope most of you don't really read GQ but
>this is a recent article that you should definitely read if you can.

No, but I'd like to. Does _GQ_ have a web edition?

[SNIP]

>It's an interesting, gritty novel published not long after the war with the
>weirdest thing ever - a glossary of the slang used in the back. Does anyone
>know of an American counterpart to this? Has anyone else ever done this?

There are two English-language texts I can think of: Anthony Burgess's
_A Clockwork Orange_ has a glossary of the Nadsat 'dialect' (idiolect?)
used in the novel. I believe that the North American edition of Irving
Walsh's _Trainspotting_ has a glossary.

ED