RARA-AVIS: nominations for best score are...

BaxDeal@aol.com
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 18:15:01 -0500 (EST) Nicholas wrote:

>My opinion is that Chinatown is really the last score that >captures the
>thirties and forties and squeezes in a feeling of nostalgia. If >anybody
>thinks that any other recent or nearly recent (by about twenty >years) score
>has been written after Chinatown, please respond.

Chinatown does have a wonderfully evocative score. As does BODY HEAT, which
was made in 1980 and BLADE RUNNER, which is arguably noir, albeit mixed with
sci-fi, also produced around the same time. I've heard that the scarcely
seen THE HOT SPOT has a good score. Directed by Dennis Hopper, starring Don
Johnson and Virginia Madsen and advertised as film noir for the 90's. I'm
not sure if TAXI DRIVER came before or after Chinatown in the 70's, but you
can't do better than Bernard Herrmann. Michael Mann used Tangerine Dream to
good effect in his early effort THIEF with James Caan, Willy Nelson and
(whatever happened to) Tuesday Weld.
#