[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Long-Unseen Goodbye

Bill Hagen (billha@ionet.net) wrote of Altman's movie of _The Long Goodbye_:

>Liked Robert Altman's movie ending better than Chandler's.

        And I really have to disagree.  The Marlowe Elliot Gould plays is
really a bit of a chump, just the sort who'd be taken in by the sleazy
variation on Terry Lennox we get in that movie.  I'd say Altman's
"Lennox" gets what he deserves, but that the movie as a whole is only
satisfying if you watch it as a 70's crime drama, and not an attempt
to put _The Long Goodbye_ on film.

And then someone else asked:
>I've heard about this "legendary" movie for years but have never seen
>it. Is it available on video?--Duane

Yup.  That's how I saw it.