[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Re: Where's the action?

> After lurking here for a few months and finding it absolutely
> fascinating, I've tried my hand at writing something HARD BOILED.  It's
> a short story, about 10,000 words.  Does anyone know if there are still
> any magazines publishing fiction of this length?  (I've just read books
> and anthologies of short stories and don't know what's happening out
> there now.)
>
> Jerry Silverman

That depends on how hard you have boiled your story.  ALFRED
HITCHCOCK MYSTERY MAGAZINE publishes quite a few private eye stories,
though without graphic violence. ELLERY QUEEN'S MYSTERY MAGAZINE also
publishes them, but less frequently.  Writers like Jerry Healy, Bill
Pronzini, and Loren Estleman have stories in those mags.  Tougher stuff is
published in Gary Lovisi's HARDBOILED and in NEW MYSTERY--both appear
somewhat irregularly--last year, I think that each published 2
issues.

PLAYBOY also publishes tough stories, and is probably the highest
paying magazine in the market--they hafta persuade the public that
they do appeal to people who can read.  I used to think that they
went only with big names, but having served on the Edgar Committee
for short stories this year, I found that they included at least one
story by a previously unpublished author.

Doug Greene
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]