[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Hello

Thanks for the response re: MacDonald, Bill. I am far more familiar w/
MacDonald/Millar's earlier stuff (the stuff I happen to have collected)
than the later stuff.  I think Generally Hammett is a better writer,
though I was blown away by the first Millar book I read (Trouble Follows
Me), mostly bec. it was SO well-written, that is, SMOOTH: I was on page
100 before I ever looked up, and I am normally a slow reader, reading bits
at a time. I will stand by my assertion that Millar is more morally
complex than Hammett, at least in his early work. Hammett is wryer and
funnier and tougher, but his books don't probe moral issues very well. Nor
should they, necessarily. I was really disappointed w/ Red Harvest, for
instance, bec. it started out so hard and mysterious and entertaining and
devolved into a gang war I cared nothing about. All the extraneous
characters detracted (IMO) from the genuinely complex and intriguing
interaction between the main players. Just a thought, Michael

Michael D. Sharp                       "Lis, when you get a little older
msharp@umich.edu                       you'll learn that Friday's just an-
Department of English                  other day between NBC's Must-See
University of Michigan                 Thursday and CBS's Saturday-Night
                       Crap-o-rama." -- Bart Simpson