[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS-Izzi, Spenser,

        Reply to:   RE>RARA-AVIS:Izzi, Spenser, etc.

Sandra,

Since you ask, here's my two cents on Izi:  A few years back, just after the
critics had discovered him and he was achieving his first round of fame, I
picked up one of his books.  Unfortunately, I can't recall the title.  It was
well written and compelling enough that I kept reading through two more.  But
sometime early the third one, I realized that something was troubling me, and
by the middle of the book, I'd figured out what it was:  Through all three
books, I never met a single character who I liked or would want to spend time
with.  They were all slimeballs of one stripe or another -- even his
protagonists.  So while I continue to admire him as a creative and compelling
writer, I haven't read any more of his stuff.

The hb writers I read and reread avidly all create protagonists  with
admirable qualities.  They are "heroes", if you will: Sam Spade, Philip
Marlowe, Lou Archer, Spenser, even the
comic-booky-but-often-wildly-entertaining Mike Hammer.

Re the threat on whether Spenser is hard-boiled:  I think not; certainly not
as much as in the earlier novel.  But Hawk definitely is, and the best
Spensers are the ones that feature Hawk prominently.

Dave Baurac