Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Lovecraftian mytery recommendations?

From: J.C. Hocking (jchocking@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Aug 2010

    If you can find a copy, I highly recommend Stephen Gallagher's Valley of Lights.  It starts as a police procedural and veers into horror in a very Lovecraftian fashion.  By this I mean the protagonist doesn't stumble on the Necronomicon or the Portal to the Dimension of Evil Tentacles, but rather encounters an ancient, and admirably conceived, non-human menace. Very well wrought novel with an extraordinarily satisfying conclusion.

    John

    ________________________________ From: JIM DOHERTY <jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sun, August 1, 2010 6:26:20 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Lovecraftian mytery recommendations?

      If it hasn't already been mentioned, try Les Whitten's Progeny of the Adder, which starts out being a straightforward urban police procedural, and turns into something very different.
      JIM DOHERTY