RARA-AVIS: Re: recent reads (and a weird review)

From: Charlie Williams (cs_will@hotmail.com)
Date: 30 Jul 2009

    To clarify, when I said "some people live in those slums", I wasn't talking about *actual* slums, just continuing the literary metaphor of "slumming it". I meant some writers are naturally drawn to crime fiction. The tourists, I was speculating, are the literary writers who see the crime genre and think it's easy or lucrative or whatever.

    A great crime writer is one who thrives on the apparatus of the crime novel, which is a constraint. A great literary writer (for want of a better term) would thrive with no constraints.

    I don't even know if I believe that, but it's what I was trying to say (badly) yesterday!

    Charlie.

    ------------------- charliewilliams.net