Re: RARA-AVIS: Nag, Nag, Nag Noir

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Jul 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "James Michael Rogers" <jeddak5@...> wrote:

    > There are several biggies that I just about never see discussed.
    >
    > For instance, even though Faulkner got brought up a bunch last week, it seems we never talk about Sanctuary even though that has got to have been one of the most influential crime novels ever. Without Sanctuary, I don't think there ever would have been a Blue Velvet film.
    >
    > Similarly, I don't think I have ever seen an extended discussion of Chase's imitation Sanctuary - No Orchids For Miss Blandish. John O'Hara's Appointment In Samarra might as well have dropped off the face of the earth as far as Rara-Avis is concerned. And Hemingway gets the big raspberry too.....I often dislike Hemingway, but it is just nutty to talk about Hammett, Cain and Chandler and not talk at least about EH's short fiction. Let's talk about "Light Of The World" or " The Battler" sometime.

    All of those have been discussed, in some cases repeatedly, though perhaps not recently (I don't read all the messages). You can bring them up... well, you just did!

    I don't think Hemingway is necessary in order to talk about Hammett, Cain and Chandler, but he's certainly interesting and as a fan, I am always ready to talk about him.

    Best,

    mrt