RE: RARA-AVIS: bar noir

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 19 Jul 2009

    Whether or not it's ghoulish revelry, I'm afraid I don't get the "noir" aspect of the "bar noir" title, either -- no more than a bank robbery that left patrons and tellers wounded would be "bank noir," or a convenience market holdup that has the teller take a shot to the chest would be "market noir." Not only is there a world of difference, as Brian points out, between fiction and reality, but also between noir and senseless street crime.

    Ron C.

    Cafe

    > > at East 71st Street and Superior Avenue.
    > >
    > > Carlton Story was in intensive care at Huron Hospital with a gunshot
    wound
    > > to the hip. None of the other victims' injuries were life-threatening.
    In