RARA-AVIS: Re: Newsweek names "Fifty Books of Our Times"

From: kevinburtonsmith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 02 Jul 2009

    "Brian Lindenmuth" <blindenmuth@...> wrote:

    > And Lee Child and Chester Himes are on the list:
    >
    > http://www.newsweek.com/id/204300/page/3

    And on a smaller, local scale, I notice that several local schools have assigned THE MALTESE FALCON as a high school summer read this year.

    That's sorta cool.

    Mind you, in tracking down the book for customers at the store (it's on a big table with all the usual suspects: Twain, Dickens, Austen, Animal Farm, etc.), it's disconcerting to see the reaction of both the kids and sometimes their parents when my enthusiasm bubbles over.

    "There's a movie too?"

    Kevin