Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Slapstick-Silly Noir

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 17 Jun 2009

    Dave Z wrote:

    "Brian, I remember you coming back on the list with both shotguns blasting at the mysterious Daniel Woodrell supporter who took exception to one of your posts, so excuse me if I don't take your lecture too seriously."

    Dave- You mean the guy I made fun of and thanked for all of the (admittedly negative) publicity? You'll forgive me if I disagree on that one. Cracking jokes at both our expenses strikes me as "disarming" rather than blazing.

    Dave further wrote:

    "Look, anyone who has followed Kevin over the years on DorothyL and other yahoo lists sre well aware of his bullying tactics and cheapshots, as well the small but loyal group of apologists that will always find reasons to excuse his behavior, but as far a I'm concerned I stuck to the points and showed restraint in my post."

    I'm not here to defend or condemn anyone (and Kevin can take care of himself). I just felt that the ad hominem attacks with which you laced your response to KBS got in the way of some of the otherwise excellent points you were making.

    I'll also say this: I think the questions KBS raises regarding humorous disclaimers regarding "over-the-top" noir is a potentially very interesting discussion. To take a couple of examples from the film world, PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE is unintentional farce, and it is hilarious. ISHTAR was intended to be funny and was one of the most unfunny movies I've ever seen.

    I read Guthrie's HARD MAN and thought it was a riot. On the other hand, I know Al, have met him in person, know how droll he is and how dry his sense of humor is, and I could hear his voice in my head as I read. If I hadn't known him would I have "gotten" it? I can't say. I hope so. I know for sure that I am an unabashed fan of Al's work.

    I'd like to know what other Rare Birds think about this.

    All the Best-

    Brian