Re: RARA-AVIS: Salt River by James Sallis

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

    > Brian,
    >
    > It's in the same slow, weary, elliptical voice as the earlier two. But
    > I really like that rural, southern style of storytelling style.

    I am very fond of that style that gives you information only in little bits and always comes at an angle. Sallis is a great practitioner. Another one (totally outside of crime fiction) is the late Peter Taylor, whose novels and short stories (especially) I highly recommend. I mention Taylor because nowadays not that many people know about him. Even the name Walker Percy has lost resonance and recognition, pity.

    I am pretty sure that Sallis is headed for classicism... I know, I'll never win the lottery, but in this one I feel confident.

    Best,

    mrt