Re: RARA-AVIS: Donald Westlake, An Appreciation

From: jamesreasoner2006 (james53@flash.net)
Date: 03 Jan 2009

    > Just to rub it in, I found my perfect copy in a used bookstore for
    half
    > cover, so under $1. To tell you the truth, though, I've never read it
    > beyond the amusing blurb. Somehow, a spoof of Airport type novels set
    > in a rest stop just doesn't sound that great. But if anyone could
    make
    > it work, it'd be Westlake. Has anyone read it? Is it any good?
    >
    > Mark

    I found my copy in a bin with a bunch of other remainders at a discount store in the mid-Seventies. Paid ten cents for it. Really. I read it back then, too, and remember thinking it was pretty funny. Had no idea at the time that J. Morgan Cunningham was really Westlake. I kept meaning to reread it and see if it held up but never got around to it.

    James