Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Disturbing Novels

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 30 Jun 2008

Mario said:
>A writer I find very disturbing in general is Patricia Highsmith.
> Novels like Edith's Diary, That Sweet Sickness, as well as the Ripley
> novels, convey pure evil.

That reminds me of my doctor, with whom I always talk hardboiled crime fiction. He once asked me to make him a short list of books I considered classics. I knew he only shopped on Amazon, so that was my only restriction. So I created a list with Jim Thompson, David Goodis, Charles Willeford, Patricia Thompson, etc. He bought something like a dozen books and he happened to start with one of the Patricia Thompson books I recommended--A Quality of Mercy. He said he found it so disturbing that not only couldn't he finish it, but thought that, if it was representative of the rest of the list, he wouldn't be able to read the other books on the list!

Jeff