Re: RARA-AVIS: Disturbing Novels

From: Sandra Ruttan ( sandraruttan@gmail.com)
Date: 30 Jun 2008

For me, SAVAGE NIGHT and HARD MAN aren't disturbing. Al has the exceptional ability, and rare willingness, to take a reader inside pain. There are scenes in both books which are uncomfortable, but what I find truly disturbing in a book is when I can identify with characters in a way that makes me realize there isn't much a line between me and them, and in the same circumstances I might do those same things. For that reason, I would say Steve Mosby's 50/50 KILLER is one of the more disturbing books I've read. I believe Jon Jordan said in his review of it that it was a book that crawled under your skin and stayed there longer than you were comfortable with, and that's part of the reason it has such an impact. Mosby takes the question of "Would you die for the person you profess to love?" to a whole new level, and the reader can't help asking what they'd do in the same situation, because the killer targets couples and tortures one while the other watches, but the one being tortured has the choice, to die or to say they can't take it anymore - in which case the killer murders their partner.
 The idea of deciding whether or not you'll die yourself, or live feeling partially responsible for your partner's death... that's deeply disturbing.

Sandra