RARA-AVIS: Re: occult PIs

From: ssshapir ( ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jun 2008

I'm surprised no one has mentioned John Constantine.

The JC of the 'Hellblazer' and 'Swamp Thing' comics not the Keanu Reeves abomination from the movie.

Although he isn't exactly a PI he is a kind of 'paranormal investiogator'. Created by Alan Moore and Steve Bisette and John Totleben he was designed to be a surly, streetwise counterpart to the genteel, gentlemanly paranormal investigators that are the norm in comics. Most of the stories in 'Hellblazer' are pretty damn bleak. London noir with a touch of the paranormal.

Paranormal investigators are pretty much a staple of comic books. Dr Thirteen was a great debunker of the paranormal and Mister E. was a blind paranormal investigator. Dr Occult (I think he was called)even wore a hat and trenchcoat. Come to think of it, John Constantine also wears a trenchcoat.