RARA-AVIS: Endings and *No Country for Old Men*

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Aug 2007

Lawrence Coates said of endings:

>>I tend to like endings that deviate from what's expected
in some way. I'm not necessarily saying that I loved the way "No Country for Old Men"
 closed, but I would be disappointed by a film that ended in an updated version of a shootout
 between the guy wearing a white hat and the guy wearing a black hat.<<

I like to be surprised by the ending too, but the long philosophical denouement lecture about the way things were in *No Country* does not seem to me to be a good way to end a story--although I couldn't stop reading even though I knew that nothing more would happen.

Neither am I happy about having not particularly interesting and almost superman of a villain survive to be the bad guy again, or killing off a truly sypathetic character--although I believe the latter is the escense of noir.

As to the black hat / white hat ending? I think it is the same in all of the most popular fiction whether on film, TV, or in books.

The chase that we see in so many action films is BH/WH, whether the good guy is the chaser or the chased. Ninty-nine percent of romanceces end in a psedo happily-ever-after plot. In most mysteries, the sleuth wins. In spy-type stuff, the good guy gets away. (See any Bourne)

A piece of noir we haven't discussed much, maybe because is it not truly a mystery is *The Spy Who Came in From the Cold,* talk about a guy being screwed?

Anyhow, Welcome Lawrence, your in for a great ride, and according to how strong your opinions, maybe a bumpy one. A lot of newbies don't stick around. You have to be able to stand the heat.

Jack Bludis

http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis http://jackbludis.com/ Recent Story at http://backalleywebzine.com/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more. http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC