RARA-AVIS: The CONFESSION cover art

From: bruce@brucemakous.com
Date: 06 May 2005

Charles-

When I first saw the cover for "The Confession," I was stunned that a new book was being released in the old 40s and 50s pulp cover art style. Then I thought it was a brilliant and exciting positioning concept for new works. I wonder if you have any second thoughts, after this controversy. Clearly, the positioning as 40s/50s style pulp fiction prejudiced some of the readers, making them think it was only worth the kind of fast read they would give to a pulp pocket book. The work itself, however, probably, in my humble opinion, could have merited a hard cover release, like Stansberry's other book this year,
"Chasing the Dragon." Earlier, one commentator on RARA AVIS said that he thought the protagonist, as a highly intellectual psychologist, really wouldn't appeal to the broad audience for mass market mysteries. Perhaps there is some cognitive dissonance that has contributed to the controversy. I'm convinced the Edgar judge who didn't like it, and other of the "ban-the-book" gang, have given it only a cursory glance. Any thoughts on this?

Bruce

Author, Riding the Brand www.brucemakous.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM