RARA-AVIS: Re: Another Heresy -- The Black Mask and other pulp fiction

From: George Tuttle ( noirfiction@whoever.com)
Date: 06 May 2005

My take on Red Harvest and The Dain Curse is that they reflect Joseph T. Shaw's overbearing editorial style. The typical Shaw edited Black Mask story is very linear with no plot climax just a series of violent events that bludgeon the reader with hardboiled images.

I liked both of these books when I read them, many, many years ago. I remember thinking when I read Red Harvest that this book is Hammet's answer to Carroll John Daly or, in other words the Continential Op knee deep in a Race Williams plot.

Black Mask is a historically important pulp, but it is not necessarily the best. I love the look of the magazine with its incredible interior art, but I thought Shaw could have been more hands off, like he was with Carroll John Daly. When Shaw came to Black Mask, Daly was the top writer and he let Daly be Daly. I wish he would have let Erle Stanley Gardner be Gardner and Roger Torrey be Torrey. Both of those writers did better pulp work, elsewhere.

Does anyone have a favorite pulp other than Black Mask? Dime Detective, maybe? Detective Fiction Weekly? My personal favorite is Speed Detective.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Lynds"
<dennislynds@c...> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Golly, the town-tamer plot as you call it has to have been around
since the
> Greeks.
>
> As for RED HARVEST, I had remembered it fondly, but when I reread
it after
> 40 years, it just fell apart for me. Of course I agree it's still
Hammett

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM